Monday, October 02, 2006

Dinner for Shylock

Well, I'm back in the UK now, recovering from jet lag. I have been losing weight recently but I think I have made up for it in the last few days...
On my last day in Texas we went for lunch at the Golden Coral. Buffet-style danger! For $7 I ate chicken fried steak, New Orleans chicken, pork chop, steak fries, carrots, green beans, sprouts, rice, corn bread, boston cream pie, banana pudding, carrot cake. I may have missed a couple of things out, but you get the picture.
In the evening we went to this great little steak place in Bryan called J Cody's (http://www.jcodys.com/). I highly recommend checking it out if you are ever in the area. Here, I got a 16oz Ribeye steak plus fries, potato salad, beans and corn bread. It was delicious and despite the fact that it was as big as the plate, I didn't realise how big it actualy was until I got home and remembered how many ounces are in a pound!!
Then I flew home and ate some nasty chicken in brown gravy on US airways. They never fail to unimpress me. Perhaps I should say they always fail to impress me. Anyway, that gave me a good excuse to eat on the way home from the airport. At the service station I was thinking about getting a sandwich when I realised where I was. Silly Me!!! How could you consider a sandwich when there are cornish pasties, meat slices, and scotch eggs on sale! A Cornish pasty it was, the others will have to wait. After a classic lunch at Mum's house invovlving bread plus whatever you can get your hands on in the fridge, I was treated to cockles and mussels followed by trout, and crumble for dessert all washed down with vintage champagne and red wine.
A particularly delicious few days, if you ignore the plane (plain?) food.
And luckily one of Mum's neighbours has wireless broadband internet so I don't have to deal with Mum's dail up connection!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home