Friday, September 30, 2005

Complete Dumass

And a sick one it turns out but we'll get to that.

Are you sitting comfortably?
Then I'll begin.
(wasn't listen with mother great?)
Over the past few weeks I have been stupid to, let’s say, Mr Bean proportions.

Firstly, I received my new car registration sticker a few weeks back and removed the old one from the windshield (windscreen) and replaced it with the new one.

A week or so later I realised that I had in fact removed my state inspection (like the MOT but less strict) sticker by mistake and so was driving around (illegally) with two registration stickers.
The inspection cost $12 back in January and lasts for one year. Since that time the price has gone up to around $30 due to emissions tests that have been added to the inspection. After a little research it seemed I would have to get the car re-inspected so I took it back to groovy lube and the guy confirmed this and told me to leave the car with the keys and the insurance out. So I grabbed my bike from the trunk (boot) and went to work. Around three hours later I called them up to ask if the car was ready.

"no, we don't have any keys"
"but I left them in the ignition"
"no, there weren't any in the car"
reaching to my pocket - "oh, sorry I'll bring them right now"
"ok, and unfortunately we had to get the car towed because it was in the way"

Of course I'd parked in front of the garage door. So now I have two extra rides in 100+ heat, a towing fee and the car hasn't even been inspected yet!
So I give them the keys, apologise for being an idiot. They inspect the car and funnily enough find that the windshield (windscreen) wipers and gas (petrol) cap seal don't pass. So all in all I end up paying $66 instead of paying nothing until January when it would have cost $30.

Excuses? Excuses? Indeed. I have been feeling ill since the weekend and I actually decided to use the US healthcare system after UT has put in over $6000 on my behalf. It turns out I have Pleurisy in my right lung. This would explain the pain in my lungs and general tiredness that I've been feeling. The sound my lung makes is seemingly a text book case that my doctor had only heard three times in her twenty year career.

But yes, I am still a dumass.

2 Comments:

At Fri Sep 30, 10:17:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi dumbass!

That's a classic bad luck cascade. One mild fuck-up amplifies itself into a small disaster. At least it sounds like its finished.

The pleurisy sounds tough- when will it get better? I was speaking to Alex T the other day- he had a story about his lung too. Last year it spontaneously collapsed (the top half of the left lung). It felt like a heart attack, and was misdiagnosed as a dodgy heart that could go at any time!

 
At Thu Oct 13, 08:32:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shit, you stoopid - must be living in texas :) i spent about 500 bucks on my car getting a service, complete rip off so dont feel too bad about the 66 bucks.

Pleurisy? I thought that was for smokers, I hope it will be alright...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home