Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Return of the Phil



I've been a little busy of late. Both sets of my parents came over to see me in quick succession and then I've been writing a paper. I thought that I missed writing my thesis until now!

Because of the writing I've been away from the lab for three weeks. I returned the other day to start setting up some experiments. The first thing I did was to use the microwave to melt some media. The microwave plate was covered in agarose that someone had boiled over and left to set. So I disposed of it in the bin, only to find that the bin was so full that the lid was balancing up in the air. Funnily enough, the bin right next to it was empty! In the process of doing this I needed gloves and my box had run out so I went to the storeroom only to find (shock horror!) empty shelves where the gloves should be. Even more shocking was that when I told my little tale of misfortune to Karl (whose job it is to deal with the full bins) I found out that nobody had even bothered to tell him that we had filled nearly all the bins.

I sent out an e mail to the lab explaining to them all that I had missed them so much over the past few weeks.

Most of the cheeky boggers thought I'd been on holiday! And the next time I went to use the microwave it was full of agarose again! Is it any wonder I am frustrated with this lab?

3 Comments:

At Thu Nov 17, 09:10:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Every system needs a clearly defined set of rules for such a situation. Maybe you should start preparing them now for your next job- start with a blank canvas?

 
At Thu Nov 17, 11:56:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd suggest that you quit yer whinging & get back to work.

 
At Fri Nov 18, 08:57:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're lucky you can still remember how to work after you've taken three weeks holiday. I stare at my cluttered bench in bewilderment (clutching my head), and then spend five minutes working out which way up the pipette works.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home