Friday, October 14, 2005

Dumb Luck?

Thankfully the pleurisy cleared up within ten days or so and I got the go ahead last week to resume 'business as usual'
The car saga continues though. The brakes started to feel funny last week and all the warning lights would come on when first applying pressure on the brake pedal but then go off again. The car would seemingly stop as usual though. I took it for a free brake inspection at Brake Check. They worked for quite some time to try and find what the problem was and thought that it was the ABS control unit ($2500-3000) but could not be 100% sure. I must say I was impressed with them and will use them again should I need work done on my brakes. So I took the car to my mechanic and he charged me $120 to find out that it is indeed the ABS control unit that is broken (he quoted around $2000 to fix it). He recommended that I think about getting rid of the car as it wont pass its state inspection with the ABS warning light on.

So where is the luck in this story? you might ask. Well, having just been a dumass (see previous post) I had to get my car inspected only two weeks ago thus I have a year left to drive my car instead of the 3 months I would have had with my old inspection sticker!
Now I'm stuck with the decision of whether to go scrap heap hunting and try to keep this car running or just cut my losses.

Anyone have a ABS control unit for a 1994 VW Passat?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home